Volčji Potok Botanical Gardens
Opened to the public in 1952, the Volčji Potok Arboretum originally formed part of the Souvan family estate in 1885, which was taken over by the University of Ljubljana in 1952 and legally declared a place of cultural and natural heritage of national importance.
Now independent of the university, it is the most visited botanical garden in Slovenia. The arboretum comprises 88 ha of ground that include 5 artificial lakes and 30 acres of forest. There are about 2,500 different species of tress and shrubs in the arboretum. In more recent years it has become well known for its spring flower shows.
The 300 year old mansion that once stood on the grounds was plundered and burned by the Partisans on the 15th April 1944. It was then after the death of Leon Souvan that the University took over management of the property.