Located in the heart of the Kamnik Alps, Velika Planina mountain plateau is a settlement of wooden huts, homes mostly to summer herdsmen who bring their cattle to graze the highland pastures. With few permanent residents, it is one of the very few preserved herders settlements of its kind in Europe.
Literally meaning 'big pasture' it attracts visitors throughout the year with hiking in the summer and skiing in the winter. There are a number of houses to accommodate visitors and access is easy via cable car from Kamniška Bistrica. A small wooden church the 'Chapel of Our Lady of the Snows', first built in 1939 by the shepherds and dairymaids, was destroyed by fire along with 100 other dwellings in World War II. A new chapel was built in its place in 1988.