Stretching right into the city centre, Tivoli Park is Ljubljana's largest and most beautiful. Created by joining together parks that surrounded two mansions, it was designed by a French engineer Jean Blanchard in 1813. Since first being laid out, the park has seen several expansion and re-landscaping projects, including the addition of a fish pond in 1880 on its western edge. Beside the pond is a small botanical garden with a glasshouse housing a permanent exhibition of tropical and carnivorous plants.
Architect Jože Plečnik designed the Jakopič Promenade leading towards Tivoli Mansion. The promenade has become a well known outdoor exhibition venue for large photographs. The parks covers and area of approximately five square kilometres and blends into the slopes of Rožnik Hill and its many walking trails.