Several successive castles have stood on the site where todays Predjama Castle now stands. The misfortunes of those castles as are colourful as those who have owned it over the centuries; none least, the robber baron Erazem Lueger. He met his end after a year long seige and the castle was laid to ruin. A natural shaft leads out of the castle and into Postojna Cave. Erazem had this shaft enlarged and used it to secretly supply the castle with food during the long seige. A second castle was built in 1511 and was later destroyed by an earthquake. The third existing castle was built in 1570 in the Renaissance style and has remained mostly unchanged to this day.